Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Marine Festa!

This weekend was a great festival in Kuchinotsu. We spent the day at the beach and I caught some skim-boarders doing their thing. Then at night, we watched students perform Taiko drumming and some dancers. They capped the night off with a big fireworks display. I recently read an article about shooting photographs of fireworks so I tried it.



A skim-boarder in mid flight.
DSC_0002.JPG

Sometimes you can look cool while you skim.
DSC_0004.JPG

But busting is the best part of the whole deal for me.
DSC_0005.JPG

This guy tried a few times to jump the waves.
DSC_0009.JPG

He's walking on water, JC style.
DSC_0014.JPG

But then a big bust!
DSC_0015.JPG

This guy was learning from the others. But he got really nervous when he saw my camera.
DSC_0016.JPG

Finally we made it to the festival. I let this kid borrow my camera. He did a decent job taking photos on my last day at Kuchinotsu. Maybe he'll become a photographer.
DSC_0047.JPG

That piglet looking kid is the photographer.
DSC_0048.JPG

My students wearing Yukata's!!
DSC_0037.JPG

Now the fireworks. I took about 100 photos, changing settings until I thought I was ok. I'm still not sure if I succeeded.
DSC_0064.JPG

These were my favorite. They just dropped them off the back of the boat!
DSC_0087.JPG

It looks like they blew up the boat.
DSC_0088.JPG

This burning thing on the left was awesome. It was a line that shot off fireworks steadily. But the photo just looks like an inferno.
DSC_0095.JPG

A star!
DSC_0100.JPG

I like this one because I have no idea what happened!
DSC_0102.JPG

Click on this picture and look at the large size. The little explosions on the end look really cool.
DSC_0110.JPG

Maybe my favorite of the fireworks shots.
DSC_0116.JPG

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures paul! absolutely gorgeous!
I have a special love for fireworks :)

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Good job on the fireworks. And the students' clothes are so bright and beautiful. You all look happy.
So excited you only have about 2 weeks and then you'll be home!!!
Love,
Mom